Our group is interested in exploring gene function using computational techniques including algorithms and databases (existing or developed by us). Generally, we have a focus on studying the mechanisms involved in human disease with the goal of facilitating the development of better therapies. We often take advantage of the integration of heterogeneous types of molecular data and we apply evolutionary analyses to derive hypotheses about biological processes.
In relation to ageing, we are interested: (i) in its evolutionary aspects, in particular, in the molecular differences between organisms with very different lifespans, (ii) in its clinical aspects, how people of different ages respond differently to diseases and stress, and (iii) in the characterisation of genetic and epigenetic markers associated with age.
The results of our work are often distributed as software or online web tools.
- Since 2014: Professor of Bioinformatics, Johannes Gutenberg University (JGU), Mainz
- Since 2008: Affiliate investigator at the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute
- 2014 - 2018: Adjunct Director, Institute of Molecular Biology (IMB)
- 2007 - 2014: Scientist (tenured since 2010) at the Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine, Berlin, Germany
- 2006 - 2008: Early Senior Scientist, Molecular Medicine department, Ottawa Health Research Institute
- 2003 - 2008: Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine, Division of General Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa
- 2003 - 2006: Scientist at the Molecular Medicine department, Ottawa Health Research Institute
- 1998 - 2003: Staff scientist at the European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Heidelberg, Germany
- 1994 - 1998: Postdoctoral researcher at the European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Heidelberg, Germany, European Bioinformatics Institute, Hinxton, Cambridge, UK, and Centro Nacional de Biotecnología of the Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas, Madrid, Spain
- 1994: PhD in Biochemistry, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain
- 1989: BSc and MSc in Biochemistry, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain
Selected publications by Miguel Andrade
Mier P, Fontaine JF, Stoldt M, Libbrecht R, Martelli C, Foitzik S and Andrade-Navarro MA (2022) Annotation and analysis of 3,902 odorant receptor protein sequences from 21 insect species provides insights into the evolution of odorant receptor gene families in solitary and social insects. Genes, 13:919 Link
Albrecht S, Sprang M, Andrade-Navarro MA and Fontaine JF (2021) seqQscorer: automated quality control of next-generation sequencing data using machine learning. Genome Biol, 22:1–20 Link
More P, Bindila L, Wild P, Andrade-Navarro MA and Fontaine JF (2021) LipiDisease: associate lipids to diseases using literature mining. Bioinformatics. 37:3981–3982 Link
Andreani T, Albrecht S, Fontaine JF and Andrade-Navarro MA (2020) Computational identification of cell-specific variable regions in ChIP-seq data. Nucleic Acids Res, 48:e53 Link
Mier P, Paladin L, Tamana S, Petrosian S, Hajdu-Soltész B, Urbanek A, Gruca A, Plewczynski D, Grynberg M, Bernadó P, Gáspári Z, Ouzounis CA, Promponas VJ, Kajava AV, Hancock JM, Tosatto SCE, Dosztanyi Z and Andrade-Navarro MA (2020) Disentangling the complexity of low complexity proteins. Brief Bioinform, 21:458–472 Link