With the exponential growth in the number of scientific publications, it is becoming increasingly difficult not only for scientists, but also for patients and the public, to know which knowledge to rely on. At the same time, there is a high expectation from the public to be informed about the best available knowledge. This is also true for ageing research.
My research group therefore produces systematic reviews and meta-analyses that summarise and evaluate research literature available worldwide. In doing so, we increasingly use automated and machine learning methods. The focus of our work is analysing knowledge of psychological and neurobiological mechanisms of resilience, i.e. the ability to stay healthy despite adverse life events, as well as on interventions to promote resilience, and is currently being expanded to include ageing research. Thus, we will create the conditions to generate the best possible knowledge about ageing processes and their prevention and therapy at the CHA.
- Since 2020: Scientific Managing Director, Leibniz Institute for Resilience Research, Mainz, Germany
- 2018 - 2019: Scientific Managing Director, German Resilience Center Mainz, Germany
- Since 2007: Professor for Psychiatry and Psychotherapy (W3) and Director, Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Johannes Gutenberg University Medical Center Mainz, Germany
- 2001 - 2007: Chief Physician and Vice Chairman at the Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy of the University Medical Center Freiburg, Germany
- 1994 - 1999: Residency at the Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy and Neurology, University of Freiburg, Germany
- 1999: “Habilitation” in Psychiatry, University of Freiburg, Germany
- 1999: Board exam and specialisation in Psychiatry and Psychotherapy
- 1992: Dr. med., University of Ulm, Germany (summa cum laude)
Selected publications by Klaus Lieb
Schäfer SK, Lindner S, Kunzler AM, Meerpohl JJ and Lieb K (2023) The mental health impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on older adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Age and Ageing, 52(9):afad170 Link
Schäfer SK, Kunzler AM, Kalisch R, Tüscher O and Lieb K (2022) Trajectories of resilience and mental distress to global major disruptions. Trends Cogn Sci, 26:1171–1189 Link
Bohus M, Stoffers-Winterling J, Sharp C, Krause-Utz A, Schmahl C and Lieb K (2021) Borderline personality disorder. Lancet, 398:1528–1540 Link
Kunzler AM, Röthke N, Günthner L, Stoffers-Winterling J, Tüscher O, Coenen M, Rehfuess E, Schwarzer G, Binder H, Schmucker C, Meerpohl JJ and Lieb K(2021) Mental burden and its risk and protective factors during the early phase of the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic: systematic review and meta-analyses. Global Health, 17:34 Link
Chmitorz A, Kunzler A, Helmreich I, Tüscher O, Kalisch R, Kubiak T, Wessa M and Lieb K (2018) Intervention studies to foster resilience - A systematic review and proposal for a resilience framework in future intervention studies. Clin Psychol Rev, 59:78–100 Link